What is WordPress?
WordPress is a free, open-source tool for creating and publishing websites to the web, including blogs, business websites, news websites, social networking websites, online shopping carts or a combination of. WordPress acts as a content management system and is not only limited to websites but can also handle web application projects.
There’s a few advantages to using WordPress to create your website, mainly:
- It’s free and open source
- It’s got a gradual learning curve
- it’s got a large and active development community
- It’s got plenty of support resources
- Lots of free and premium plugins that extend the functionality of your WordPress website
WordPress also comes with its own challenges that you will want to be aware of, mainly:
- It’s a security target because of its popularity
- Plugin conflicts from outdated or no longer supported plugins, to plugins not cooperating with each other and breaking your website
WordPress is a great platform to start with for just about any website project and satisfies a spectrum of users from beginners to advanced users. Depending on your project requirements for the long term, WordPress could also serve as a long-standing solution for your website needs.
Check out some websites made using WordPress.
Your questions, comments or thoughts are welcome, cheers.